The attacks continue.


I feel very removed and yet so closely involved with the continuing war in Ukraine. The total peace of Posada, seems to be a million miles away from our recent reality. Miles of beach completely deserted. No shelling or missile attacks, no air raid alerts. However every bang or unexpected noise, makes me instantly wary.

But the reality of attacks for our friends in Odesa continue. They suffered last night, one of the worst missile attacks on their city since the start of the war. A friend wrote to me about how absolutely terrified they were, with some of the missiles landing too close for comfort. It's hard to describe how loud and devestating a missile strike is. 
Last night one of the missiles hit the main art gallery of Odesa. UNESCO sent a message to Putin that art galleries are protected under international law. I bet that will make Putin sleep uncomfortably in his bed tonight. Toothless tigers.
They also they hit many residential apartment blocks, with several people injured. 
Friends in Odesa and Kherson are asking, "when will you return?" My thoughts are, as soon as is humanly possible, once the documentation I need has been obtained. I know that this might sound crazy but, being here, is harder than being there.

I want to finish with a message sent to me today by our good friend Anastasia.

"Now we mostly stay at home. We rarely go outside. recently bomb flew into a neighboring house and a burning rocket fell right on the playground. It’s good that the children went home to have lunch at that time and no one was hurt! this is so scary!
But we are alive. We look forward to meeting you again. we will survive everything! we are strong!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back in Ukraine...

Back in England...

Endings...