People are losing their last hope.


Whilst working in Kherson, I had the privilege of meeting and working with a fine teacher of English, who assisted me as a translator in an underground classroom. Olga was invaluable in making the classes work.
I received the photos above from her in kherson along with this message yesterday.

"Hello Bob. How are you? Hope you're well. This war is not going to end. Yesterday night there were 4 explosions near my house. Some windows in my flat were broken. It was awful. People are losing their last hope."

I struggled to find the words to send to her, finally put something together, but it was surely not enough. However a few moments later I received more photos from Olga.

And another message.

"Nevertheless we have a Christmas a Christmas tree. And children even had a New Year party at the shelter."

People are losing their last hope. An interesting use of words. Not that people have lost hope. Hope is the last thing to die. I have no idea where the courage comes from for people to continue living their lives, in a place which has a constant danger from shelling. Of the bravery of Ukrainian soldiers facing a much larger aggressor. Of all the ordinary people who try to do their bit.
It is a likely truth, what Olga said, that this war won't end. Maybe with Russia on your border, you might never have peace. I try to be more positive and think that the war will end. But when, I have no clear idea. And it's hard to contemplate the price that may have to be paid.

On this note, it's my intention to return to Ukraine in late March. I'm not sure how long I will stay, but will carry on with the work. Donations are still coming in, and for that we are really grateful. I will use donations to carry on providing humanitarian aid on my return.





Comments

  1. Hello to you, my name is Matthew Jones, a UK doctor, I met Olha and Sasha in August in Kherson when delivering medical training there. I am heading back to Ukraine in January and was hoping to connect with Bob beforehand with a few questions. I can be contacted on mtpwjones@hotmail.com if you can drop me a line Bob! Planning to take some teaching supplies for a start for Olha's students.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Back in Ukraine...

Back in England...

Endings...