Ordinary life in a not an ordinary place.

It's strange how you become accustomed to a situation, a new way of life. There has now developed for me, a general routine to my time here in Odesa, even though everywhere I continue to see the damage caused by this war. People trying to manage.

Most days start with an air raid warning, any time between 5am and 8am. These then happen on and off throughout the day. Sometimes there are explosions and air raid defences at work, sometimes close enough to feel the pressure waves. I still always flinch. Sometimes nothing. You really never know.

Often, I have a walk to the sea at around 6:30 before going to work in the kitchen. It gives me a sense of calm. Well, sort off. Sometimes, especially now that it's dark in the mornings, you can very occasionally see missiles and Shaheeds coming in from the Black Sea. Not all aiming for Odesa, but flying over to alternative destinations. Air defences trying to knock them out. I have a video of this, but for the life of me I can't seem to upload it to the blog.

Then it's off to the kitchen where I work for about four hours, either in the kitchen or on the bakery side. The volunteers who have worked in the kitchen have lunch at about 1pm, by which time the food is cooked, and the baking complete. We share together some of what we have prepared, all vegetarian. Then the distribution of the food to various centres begins. 500 meals go out every day in vans etc. I'm not usually involved in that. 

At 3pm I start my English lessons. I do a couple of hours. They remain fun, but by the end I'm a bit weary I have to admit.

Weekends are different, and much more dangerous, delivering aid to Kherson. I don't need to describe again how difficult life is there. I think it has become even more dangerous, and it's getting increasingly more difficult for foreigners to cross the checkpoints. There's no difficulty for Ukrainian citizens, but the army and authorities are acutly aware of the bad press and subsequent enquiries that follows when a foreigner dies. With possible accusations that foreign volunteers were not actually suppored and protected enough.
I have to say that I understand the logic of this, but ultimately, it's surely my decision to be there, fully aware of the risks involved. And I am keeping this situation under review. I now have very close links with 3 people in Kherson, each of whom I completely trust. A community organiser, a psychologist, and the person who runs the dog and cat shelter.
Rather than going in person, I am seriously considering sending the donations raised directly to the 3 individuals concerned by bank transfer, as I now have access to a Ukrainian bank account. I freely admit that I'm often frightened when I go to Kherson, much more than I used to be. The attacks happen more frequently, and few people are seen on the streets unless they really have to be there.
This is a difficult one for me. I know that people seeing me there gives them a tiny reassurance that they are not forgotten.There are now also so few aid vehicles going into Kherson compared with even a year ago. Often at the checkpoint, we are the sole aid vehicle. There again, as a friend pointed out subtlety.....you're not much use dead. I'm undecided. I would appreciate your comments on this, as to what you might think is the best way forward.

As usual I like to end on a slightly lighter note. Whilst walking in Odesa I went past this hotel/ holiday complex. Wasn't sure what to make of it. Note the name.

As always many thanks for your continued support.
Bob.

To make a donation, please:
1. Open PayPal and, when asked for name of payee or email, enter trawden4ukraine@hotmail.com

Or, if you live in/near Trawden:
2. Use the Ukraine collection box in the community shop.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A new co-worker.... baptism by fire.

Back in Ukraine...

Probably the last thing I expected...